I have updated this recipe to reflect using puff pastry dough and not canned crescent rolls! The included pictures are using canned crescent rolls. Please see updated pictures here~~~>This time with puff!
I love these things, but I dont like the price that you pay in store for a less than quality product! There is never enough “cheese” and hardly any cherries! SO… I made my own!
They really are amazing and so easy to make
- 1 package (8 Oz. Package) Cream Cheese, Softened
- ½ cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1 Can cherry pie filling
- 1 Package puff pastry
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (for icing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and flour and set aside.
- Take frozen puff pastry dough and unfold (I use pepridge farms and it is tri-folded)
- On an ungreased baking sheet, lay out the pastry dough. Unfold it so that you have 3 sections.
- Carefully spread the cream cheese filling down the center of the dough to be about 2-3 inches wide.
- On top of cream chesee mixture add the cherry filling.
- Cut ½-inch diagonal strips up each side of the dough.
- Fold the ½-inch dough pieces up over the filling, alternating sides over each other and pressing down lightly to seal and it should look like a braided pattern.
- Fold all excess dough into the danish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until filling is set and crescent dough is golden in color and cool before removing from the baking sheet.
- Once danish has cooled, remove to a serving platter.
- Use sweetened condensed milk to top danish.
- Cut into pieces and serve.